We have worked with key academics and thought leaders to create an integrated frame of reference for the measurement of purpose and how it relates to accounting, reporting and valuation.
Invitation to partner with Saïd Business School
We invite your organisation to join a group of leading businesses to support and engage in an ambitious research programme around rethinking performance at Oxford. This is a unique approach to applied research that will create strong and lasting partnerships between academics and industry.
The Initiative undertakes cutting-edge research under the core streams of:
- Purpose relevance at system & investor level
- Management decision making & strategy
- Cost-accounting & measurement.
How can we operationalise purpose?
The Oxford Initiative on Rethinking Performance (ORP) aims to develop a framework for the measurement and operationalisation of corporate purpose. This will enable sustainable and long-term focussed business behaviour to thrive for the benefit of the economy, investors, planet and society.
In the last 10 years, the role and purpose of companies have been redefined. Modern, prudent and long-term oriented companies now need to understand and demonstrate how they create (and destroy) value beyond financials. ORP aimsto examine how existing performance definitions, analyses and measurement systems need to be reshaped to truthfully reflect a company’s performance in relation to its corporate purpose.
To unravel this, the initiative focuses on tensions that arise in relation to measurement and implementation at three levels:
- Management– How to embed and operationalise corporate purpose in organisations through measurement, incentivisation and practice
- Accounting– How to take intoaccount the cost associated with positive and negative social and environmental externalities, impacts and dependencies that are produced by company operations
- Reporting– How to connect internal measures of corporate purpose, management practices and corporate reporting on non-financial as well as financial impact.
By focussing on the study of long-term oriented and holistic performance, ORP aims to help businesses operationalise their purpose.
Born out of theMutuality in Business project, the initiative seeks to establish a global centre of bold discussions, contemporary thought and innovative ideas around the operationalisation of purpose through holistic performance measurement and valuation.
- ResearchCreating cutting-edge research to challenge conventional performance theory, measurement, and management.
- EngagementWorking with our partners to develop frameworks for the operationalisation of purpose and to discuss and test these ideas with a wide network of organisations and thought leaders.
- OutreachShaping thought and practice through novel teaching and outreach programmes, as well as regular convening for the creation of a global platform of discussion, on how to rethink performance.
Measuring purpose - An integrated framework
Wondering how purpose relates to different measurement frameworks?
- Neuberger Berman
- Asahi Breweries Europe
- Novartis AG
- Royal Dutch Shell plc
- Diwakar Kishore, Research Assistant
- Thea Jung, Research Assistant
- Ethan Harradine, Research Assistant
- Jacob Schumacher, Research Assistant
If you are interested in partnering with us please get in touch email@example.com